What key points can we apply to the challenges we face?
Brain 1 - dyadic relationship 1:1
1. Focus on building a relationship both with the child and family. This comes before learning.
2. Build a happy safe classroom with singing, laughter and lots of physical activity.
- Sing.. My Bonnie lies over the ocean
- Daily class joke time - pull out of a hat, add to blog or child shared.
- Brain breaks - dance, fitness game, activity
1. Build an environment with repetition and routine.
2. Always have calm, quiet voices to reduce anxiety and the flooding of cortizol.
3. Have very quiet rhythmic music in the background - 80 beats a minute.
Brain 3 - Limbic - where resilience lives: social and emotional
1. Focus on belonging & dispositions of a learner.
2. Celebrate success with 10 positive comments to 1 next step.
3. Give opportunity for creative problem solving and being resilient.
4. Plan in opportunity of repetitive practise of skills that are lacking such as empathy.
Brain 4 - Cortical - ability to self control
1. Give lots of opportunity for choice in the classroom.
2. Teach self regulation strategies - breathing, calm down buckets, time-out cards.
3. Begin today's lesson by reviewing what we learnt yesterday.