Time to celebrate the success in the form of two separate and challenging boys.
Student 1 had started the school well part way through the year but rapidly declined into rude confrontational and violent behaviour. We worked very hard on behaviour plans and things have made a huge turn around. On discussion with the student he says the difference was his getting an Indenendent Learner Licence.
Student 2 had the problem of demanding attention accross the classroom in a range of challenging ways. He was defiant and often violent towards those around him. The RTLB has been on the job for three weeks and there has been a huge change. On asking the student he said the difference was this…. pointing to his Independent Learner Licence.
It is clear to me with both these students and the initial resoponse of much of the class, the choice and trust went a long way to motivating them to independence and self management.
My Holiday and Term 4 Challenge:
1. Complete the Google Survey Alice has designed to establish student voice on what difference having an Independent Licence has on learning then unpack the data to use within class.
2. Establish agreed sets of behaviour in different learning spaces.
3. Set up our learning hub where planning and resource links can be attached for access from home.
4. Investigate a format for sharing our 'Flipped Classroom' instructional movies.
5. Give students the opportunity for a 'Genius Hour' type AKOKids session, possibly within the Junior School Choice and Challenge Friday hour.
Most of all, I need to continue to enjoy the independence and excitement of my learners!