...at McDonalds, on the train on the way to work, at morning tea time...
How can we engage kids home learning.... ICT is active, constructivist - engaged in a task.
Only some have access to devices and or Internet connections.
Barriers... engagement, access, habits of playing games rather than working on home learning.
Why should they do homework - teachers should be doing that in school time.
Use with younger kids:
- handwriting word study tutorials as part of the classroom programme.
- maths videos and activities to review to support group sessions.
Learn those dispositions and be independent. All have access with devices and Internet access. How does this activity fit with our targets?
How can we fit it in with limited time:
- use other peoples resources and link into an organised format allowing easy access.
- move into the next step of the kids making their own tutorials.
* bite sized
Four pillars of Blended Learning:
Shift in learning culture - who does the learning (kids making their own)
Professional educators (share resources around the world)
Tips for a better flipped classroom:
1. Devised a flipped strategy - why are you doing it?
2. Start small
3. Get student buy-in (Get them to video the sessions then make them)
4. Get parents involved
5. Teach the kids how to WATCH the videos! (sentence, pause, note taking)
6. Encourage rather than push kids
7. Don't use videos as the only engagement tool
8. Make them short and interactive
9. Find fellow flipped educators
How might it work?
Have the lesson content in a video.
Have a series of activities that stand alone but build into the learning.
Have the one follow up session that comes after the video.
This allows for the teacher to interact with the stations, ask those challenging questions and record the learning of the students.
Any place any time
Traditional learning is focussed on the safe traditional approach when we want to get into the creative activities. Khan Academy allows us to move the physical classroom into the creative side as videos and Khan Academy helps cater for the instructional sessions.
- real world maths: menu & costs for camp, litter production and cost, products from 1m squared garden, soup kitchen.
- share simulations, projects and real world games
Different Blended Learning Models:
A cool place to search for videos and dump them into a collective.
Add rich text to explain ideas.
Link this to your website.