Organisation: Elim Christian College
Twitter: https://twitter.com/blominatorWebsite: https://about.me/barendblom
Google Doc Link
Blened learning resources:
E Learning is.... (from TKI site)
- facilitated and supported by the appropriate technology
- could be supported by 'paper based' or fully online
- deliberate and justifyable choice about the best tool
- effective learning is central
- accessible 24/7 and relavant to learners
- motivating and engaging
- improves learning outcomes
- range of different devices
Basically - e-learning is teaching with technology in a pedagogically sound way but this is not blended learning!
- see the car move on the floor and the probe showing the graph on the screen
- typing tutor used to reinforce a skill
- reinforcement apps - Tables Bingo
- use iMovie to show learning
Blended learning is a subset of this: (one strategy)
- use resources that are on-line to remove the boundires of your classroom
- Monday - tweet of learning objectives, Tuesday - tweet set of resources, Wednesday - tweet follow up activites and further resources.
In school it looks like:
Instant feedback giving students their next steps.
Groups working collaboratively on different projects.
Groups working on rich tasks.
Teachers tracking and working with groups / individuals.
Christenson Institute: Clayton Christenson
Book: Disrupting Class
The revoluction happenging in education.
Rotation Model for Blended Learning:
Teach a learning intention through a range of three activity stations, rewind u-tube video (better to make your own as they connect with that better), practical activity, vocabulary station, on-line quiz search. This enables you to focus on the practical and the vocabulary students.
Rotate through the practical lab session.
Use videos of lesssons so they can be pre/post viewed or reviewed. This clones you so you can be in two places.
Individual rotation: Oops missed!
Focus on the SMAR Model
Is blended because there is an online competition for learning - giving on-line audience.
- Be sure I know the difference between e-learning and blended learning and promote the understaning within our school.
- Begin to develop a bank of 'flipped classroom' videos for maths strategies etc but look at way to build a format that the whole school can access.
- Start small - add to the Kidscafenz again this term but look at making a central resource.
1. What's happening?
2. What's not happening?
3. How can I influence what's not happening?
In a MLE teachers need to have 'with-it-ness' allow for social conversations but keep them moving back to the task at hand without shutting down the 'Brain break' social talk.