- Expensive but use my product or none....
- A new product crosses over into a different market, at a lower cost
- bendable bateries, wearable technology
- ubiquitous computing - computers disappear and become part of life, clothes, watches, walls, smart buildings, quantum dot solar panel windows
- Population increasess by 1 billion people from 6, 534 to 7, 518
- Shrinking working population - too may old people
- 200,000,000 25 - 34 year olds with degrees - same qualifications
- The old model of trade has gone - University degree @ Canterbury for thousands of dollars or go online e.g. MIT then get your learning examined at a different centre. Free qualification & learning from home!
- Indian graduates have the same qualification and willing to work at 1/4 the price - Global Village!
Digital Divide - 1st world countries have cheap devices and Internet access. Develping countries not so much access - this is changing. Wifi solutions for countries - Internet balloons etc. The wold world will eb Wifi enabled very soon.
If you have a device and the Internet - can you educate yourself? Hole in the wall project.
Heutagogy - approach of kids can teach themselves. Self education is now becoming a reality.
- must be open to new learning and change - slow adopter or use the tools available today and the new ones as they arise
- World of Apps - constantly changing and throw away when no longer needed
- positive mindset
How do we accommodate this world in the way we teach?
- Multiple jobs, pick up new specific skills and discard them daily
- How can augmented reality support this learning?
- Art work - explanation from the artist
- 2D technical drawing not detailed enough - make a 3D version or model that can be a walked through e.g. architect modelling a house
- School - focus on construction of atoms, famous buildings, battles (Minecraft), life cycle of a frog, flight simulator - using the expertise of the students to unpack the learning, using real sources and manipluating them.
Try Simcity or Civilization!
What are the barriers to using technology in class?
What models are there for this in the classroom?
- We need to embed this process into the strategic plan
- Artists - free souls
- Adaptive competence - knowledge workers to innovate for our employers (Teachers s there is a definate end expectaion.)
- Delivered competence - workers are the owners,
Do we just use ICT to reproduce drill and skill worksheets? How can we use ICT to totally throw the task on its head and integrate collaboration? The new experience could not happen without the technology e.g. live through a volcanic erruption or walk to the South Pole, ask real explorers questions as they are walking to the Pole.
When we are teaching there are different aspects involved. Where do knowledge, pedagogy and knowledge of technology overlap? How can we balance our knowledge in all areas e.g. history - history channel videos - used in an effective pedagogical way.